The fact remains, there is still no solution available for those of us trying
to embed/deploy Solr in log4j-aware apps/environments besides
developing/deploying container-specific code. I still hope this community
can propose a better compromise.
If I had found the
http://people.apache.org/~psmith/logging.apache.org/sandbox/jul-log4j-bridge/
jul-to-log4j bridge  to be a usable solution (or any other for that matter),
I would have avoided the -so far- sterile debate.
FWIW, solr-549 is using JUL -the API does not change- and, on principle,
this is not a log manager of sort but merely a thin proxy (look at the
code).