: Aren't we going to create a branch for this? If yes, why not upgrade lucene
: jars and freeze right now and release on 1st September? :-)

release branches are created, but durring the days leading up to a release
it's a good idea to refrain from doing too much work on the trunk:
  1) it makes it more complicated for people to merge bug fixes from
the trunk to the release branch (or viceversa)
  2) it creates noise that can distract/confuse people about what has been
committed where
  3) ideally people should be focused on improving documentation and
fixing build for the impeding release, not getting too far ahead of
ourselves with the next release.

if people really want to work on future features that's fine, but we tend
to work mainly with patches anyway -- waiting a few days to commit a new
feature patch to the trunk isn't that big of a deal.

-Hoss