On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

: Because the maven artifacts are part of packaging for release. People who : don't want them can run "create-package", or we could call it core- package. I

The problem i have is that up until now, anyone that wanted to
checkou the source and build it could run "ant package" and get a nice
zip file and a tar ball ... now people who do that get an error that they need maven extensions to ant -- that shouldn't required if they don't care
about maven.

Telling people to run "ant create-package" instead isn't that hard is
suppose, but if that's the way things are going to be then, let's change
"ant usage" to reflect reality.

I really just don't really understand why "ant package" needed to change
at all?   Why not just add a "maven-packages" target that depends on
"package" for people that want maven packaging?

I figured the auto build systems were already calling "package", thus, I wanted them to work and do the lifting of building the Maven packages as well. Package was what was being called on Hudson, and presumably nightly, too, so I figured it was a good thing to keep it the same, lest I have to go change all of those too.

: just thought for release purposes it's easier to just call one target that has
: it all.

If that's the main reason for setting things up this way, i'd rather add a
new "release" target then modify the "package" target ... there's no
reason to break things for existing users who don't care about maven.

I don't care either way, as long as Hudson and nightly work. Go for it, if you want to change all the touch points that call package.

-Grant