On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just came across http://wiki.apache.org/solr/IndexPartitioning .  Does anyone
> think we still need this idea (vs. MultiCore)?

interesting - it sounds to me more like shards than multicore, doesn't it? ...
but instead of querying all shards for results, only the shards that are
expected to contain the data we are after are queried. Similar to PostgreSQL's
(and Oracle's + others?) partitions by query.

FWIW, I think it'd be very nice to handle this @ the request handler level,
rather than @ the data import/query stage .... Obviously, as an alternative
option to the current shards approach, for those cases where we can't (or don't
want to)  define the "partitions".

cheers,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Warned.