On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

Hi,

I can't believe this idea received no replies!

It did:
http://lucene.markmail.org/message/hb4v3qqbgu5d6dhi?q=documentum  ;-)

I wonder how many companies are already doing what Mark described here. ;)

In any case, I think this is HUGE. If you believe any of the enterprise search pundits, these connectors are essential to get Solr to be recognized as "enterprise ready".

Yeah, I think it makes sense. The more we can do to make it easy for Solr to get data in, the better IMO.

----- Original Message ----
From: mark harwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: solr-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 8:24:40 AM
Subject: Idea: Add Documentum/Sharepoint/FileNet etc connectivity by emulating a Google Search Appliance's feed interface

Google open-sourced (Apache license) the framework it uses for getting content from a number of document repositories into a Google Search Appliance (their
hardware+software solution for enterprise search).

My suggestion is that Solr could also make use of these connectors simply by opening a port that honours the wire-protocol that is used to feed content into
a Google Search Appliance (architecture overview is here:
http://tinyurl.com/4puke8 ). You can see how connectors push data in the "sendData" method in "GsaFeedConnection" in the connector manager framework
(source here:  http://tinyurl.com/49cehd ).

Before a connector starts pushing content it needs to be configured and the Google Search Appliance admin screens are used to set this up. The GSA appliance has some form of conversation with connectors to understand what properties need setting and to set them but this again could be added with Solr providing an equivalent admin screen driven by the same information provided by connectors.

The other form of conversation conducted is around authentication when query
results are about to be presented to users.

This isn't something I have any time to work on but it seems like an interesting project so I thought I'd mention it in case anyone here has the time or interest
in pursuing it.
It would open Solr up to some new environments by making use of existing
connectors provided by some large commercial organisations.

Cheers,
Mark

Grant Ingersoll
Lucene Boot Camp Training Nov. 3-4, 2008, ApacheCon US New Orleans.
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com

Lucene Helpful Hints: