On Oct 28, 2008, at 5:21 PM, markharw00d wrote:

It may be a good summer of code project if someone wanted to implement reading and writing data via the GSA feed interface...

Do you mean the Google Summer Of Code initiative? I can't imagine Google would be keen to support a project whose goal was to provide an open-source, drop-in replacement for one of their commercial products :)

Google doesn't vet GSOC applications... ;-) Heck, it's even Apache licensed...

I can't believe this idea received no replies!

I guess it's just not an itch anyone here feels a particular need to scratch right now - and that is always what is need to get the ball rolling.

Maybe another avenue is to approach the commercial providers who have already contributed GSA connectors and ask them to consider writing a Solr-based consumer endpoint based on the GSA connector protocol. They may be commercially incentivised to do this and can then claim their products can hook up to either GSA or open-source Solr using the same interface.

I think it may be of interest at some point. I don't have the cycles at the moment, but it's definitely something I think makes sense to have in Solr.