: Right... for stock Solr usage (i.e. as long as they don't try to lock
: the same thing.)
: It is funny that native locks always work across different processes,
: but not always in the same JVM though.

Actaully, the more i think about this the less i understand it ... why
don't native locks "work" within the same VM? ... and by "work" i mean why
didn't he just get a lock timeout error?

If the behavior of Native Locks is really that you don't get the same
behavior if both clients are in the same JVM, then shouldn't the Lucene
NativeLockFactory be doing something like wrapping a
SingleInstanceLockFactory arround the NativeFSLockFactory?

: #2) native lock factory fails if it's two different Solr webapps in
: the same JVM trying to lock the same thing.
: Should we clarify "Do not use with multiple solr webapps in the same
: JVM" or just remove it?

I'm starting to think we should remove support for native locks at all --
if it can fail in the situation of multiple wars in the same JVM trying to
use the same solr home, that implies that it can also fail if something
goes wrong during a "hot deploying" the solr.war ... if the shutdown of
the older instance of solr.war fails for some reason, thentheir could be a
stale lock, created in the same JVM, left over when the newer instance is
brought online.

correct?

-Hoss