Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going
debate about what to call the merged entity.

The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both
Lucene's and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current
personal favorites along these lines: Sorlusr :) ).

My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product
(along with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from
suggestions coming from Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.

So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and
Solr would remain the product names of this newly named merged project.

Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times
recently on the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to
what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene (TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one
of these suggestions this morning:

   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
   ASF likes names

So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch"
(riffing off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....
Okay, not really.

I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me
like the font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun =>
convertible => "Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and
Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in a Ragtop logo.

Steve