: I almost didn't notice the exception fly by because there's soooo much
: log output, and I can see why I might not have noticed. Yay for
: scrollback! (Hrm, I might not have wanted to watch logging for 4
: instances of solr all at once. Might explain why so much logging.)

FYI: Solr logs a lot of stuff at the INFO and DEBUG levels, but "errors"
will always be at the SEVERE level (unless they aren't actualy SEVERE and
are just exceptions encountered during trivial unimportant things in which
case they are loged at the WARNING level) it's up to your servlet
container how verbose to be (ie: what level to log)

you should be able to configure it to put WARNING and SEVERE messages in a
seperate log file even.

: > Anyway, I agree that some config errors could be handled in a more
: > user-friendly manner, and it would be nice if config failures could
: > make it to the front-page admin screen or something.
:
: That would groovy!

i've been thinking a Servlet that didn't depend on any special Solr code
(so it will work even if SolrCore isn't initialized) but registeres a log
handler and records the last N messages from Solr above a certain level
would be handy to refer people to when they are having issues and aren't
overly comfortable with log files.

-Hoss