Hello,

I'm a bit new to search indexing and I'm hoping some of you here can help me
with an e-mail application I'm working on.  I have a mail retrieval program
that accesses multiple POP accounts in parallel, and parses each message
into a database.  I would like to add a new document to a solr index each
time I process a message.

My first intuition is to give each user their own index. My thinking here is
that querying would be faster (since each user's index would be much smaller
than one big index,) and, more importantly, that I would dodge any
concurrency issues stemming from multiple threads trying to update the same
index simultaneously.  I realize that Lucene implements a locking mechanism
to protect against concurrent access, but I seem to hit the lock access
timeout quite easily with only a couple threads.

After looking at solr, I would really like to take advantage of the many
features it adds to Lucene, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to achieve
multiple indexes.

Am I completely off in thinking that I need multiple indexes?  Is there some
best practice for this sort of thing that I haven't stumbled upon?

Joe