I'm trying to setup a system to have very low index latency (1-2
seconds) and one of the javadocs intrigued me:

"DirectUpdateHandler2 implements an UpdateHandler where documents are
added directly to the main Lucene index as opposed to adding to a
separate smaller index"

The plain DirectUpdateHandler also had the same in its docs.  Does this
imply that there use to be another handler that could send docs to a
small/faster index and then merge them in with a larger one or that
someone could in the future?  I read through a good bit of the code and
didn't see how it could be handled from a searcher perspective but
perhaps I'm missing some key piece.

- will