I was going through some old emails on this topic. Rafael Rossini figured
out how to run multiple indices on single instance of jetty but it has to
be jetty plus. I guess jetty doesn't allow this? I suppose I can add
additional jars and make it work but I haven't tried that. It'll
always be much safer/simpler/less playing around if a feature is
available out of box.

I'm mentioning this again because I really think it's a desirable feature,
especially because each JVM uses a lot of memory and sometimes it's
not possible to start a new jetty for each index due to memory
limitation.

I understand I can use a type field and mix doc types but this is not
ideal for two reasons:

1. it's easier to maintain separate indices. I can just wipe out all
the files and re-post an individual index. Much less posting work to
do as opposed to re-posting all docs. Or I can move one index to
another partition, or even to another server to run separately in
order to scale up. It'll be a problem (although solvable by deleting
and re-posting) with a mixed index.

2. my understanding is that mixed index means larger index files and
slower performance

JettyPlus's download links seem to be broken so I wasn't able to check
its download size. If not too big, maybe JettyPlus is an option?
If not, there should be a way to have this feature implemented on solr
side? Maybe by prefixing the REST URLs with index names...

Jack