There is no way to trigger snapshots taking through Solr's admin interface
now.  Taking a snapshot is a very light-weight operation.  It uses hard
links so each snapshot doesn't take up much additional disk space.  If you
don't want to replicate your index while the big batch job is still running,
you can disable snappuller on the slave while the batch job is running and
enable it after the batch job has completed.

Bill