On 10/19/07, Maximilian Hütter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yonik Seeley schrieb:
> > On 10/17/07, Maximilian Hütter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I also found this:
> >>
> >> "Controls the maximum number of terms that can be added to a Field for a
> >> given Document, thereby truncating the document. Increase this number if
> >> large documents are expected. However, setting this value too high may
> >> result in out-of-memory errors."
> >>
> >> Coming from: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-solr2/index.html
> >>
> >> That might be a problem for me.
> >>
> >> I was thinking about using copyFields, instead of one large fulltext
> >> field. Would that solve my problem, or would the maxFieldLength still
> >> apply when using copyFields?
> >
> > maxFieldLength is a setting on the IndexWriter and applies to all fields.
> > If you want more tokens indexed, simply increase the value of
> > maxFieldLength to something like 2000000000 and you should be fine.
> >
> > There's no penalty for setting it higher than the largest field you
> > are indexing (no diff between 1M and 2B if all your docs have field
> > lengths less than 1M tokens anyway).
> >
> > -Yonik
> >
> Yes, that would be an easy solution, as there is no performance penalty
> as say.
> I am still unsure, if the maxFieldLength applies to copyFields?

maxFieldLength applies to all fields (it's a Lucene concept, not a Solr one).

copyField and maxFieldLength are not related.

> When using copyFields I get an array back for that field (I copied to).
> So it seems to be different.

???  maxFieldLength only applies to the number of tokens indexed.  You
will always get the complete field back if it's stored, regardless of
what maxFieldLength is.

> Is there a performance penalty for using copyFields when indexing?

copyFields are done as a discrete step before indexing... almost no
cost to do that.
Indexing itself will have a performance impact if there are more
fields to index + store as a result of the copyField commands.

> How
> about the mixed fieldtypes in the source fields? What happens when I
> copy an sint based field and a string based field to a string based field?

copyField is done based on the string values, before any analysis.
Mixed content should be fine.

-Yonik