On 10/30/07, Haishan Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for replying Yonik!
>
> I am running solr on a windows 2003 server (standard version). intel Xeon CPU
> 3.00GHz, with 4.00 GB RAM.
> The index is locate on Raid5 with 2 million documents. Is there any way to
> improve query performance without moving to more powerful computer?
>
> I understand that the query performances of phrase query ("auto repair") has
> to do with the number of documents containing the two words. In fact the
> number of documents that have auto and repair are about 100000. It is like 5%
> of the documents containing auto and repair.  It seems to me 937 ms is too
> slower.

Chen, that does seem slow.... I'm not sure why.
1) was this the first search on the index?  if so, try running some
other searches to warm things up first.
2) was the jvm in server mode?  (start with -server)
3) shut down unlrelated things on the system so that there is more
memory available to the OS to cache the index files

> Would it be faster if I run solr on linux system?

Maybe... Lucene does rely on the OS caching often used parts of the
index, so this can differ the most between Windows and Linux.  If you
have a Linux box lying around, trying it out quick to remove that
variable would be a good idea.

-Yonik