On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 08:40 +0200, Ramprasad Padmanabhan wrote:
> I need to store in SOLR all data of my clients mailing activitiy
>
> The data contains meta data like From;To:Date;Time:Subject etc
>
> I would easily have 1000 Million records every 2 months.

If standard searches are always inside a single client's emails and not
across all cores, this should scale simply by adding new machines linear
to the corpus size.

> What I am currently doing is creating cores per client. So I have 400 cores
> already.
>
> Is this a good idea to do ?

Yes. One core per client ensures than ranking works well. It makes it
easy to remove users and if part of the users are inactive for long
periods of time, you can use dynamic loading of cores.

That is under the presumption that you will have a few thousand clients.
If your expected scale is millions, I am not sure it will work.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark