On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 8/28/2014 11:57 AM, Ethan wrote:
> > Our index size is 110GB and growing, crossed RAM capacity of 96GB, and we
> > are seeing a lot of disk and network IO resulting in huge latencies and
> > instability(one of the server used to shutdown and stay in recovery mode
> > when restarted).  Our admin added swap space and that seemed to have
> > mitigated the issue.
>
> Adding swap space doesn't seem like it would actually fix anything.  If
> the system is actively swapping, performance will be terrible.

Assuming your heap size and query volume are not enormous, 96GB of RAM
> for an index size of 110GB seems like it would actually be pretty good.

*E >> Before adding swap space nodes used to shutdown due to OOM or crash
after 2-5 minutes of uptime. By bumping swap space the server came up
cleanly.  ** We have 7GB of heap.  I'll need to ask admin more questions to
know how it was solved.*

> Remember that you have to subtract all heap requirements (java and
> otherwise) from the total RAM in order to determine how much RAM is left
> for caching the index.  The ideal setup has enough extra RAM (beyond
> what's required for the software itself) to cache the entire index, but
> that ideal is usually not required.  In most cases, getting between half
> and two thirds of the index into RAM is enough.  One thing to note: If
> you don't have the entire index fitting into RAM, the server will
> probably not be able to handle an extreme query volume.

*E >> Our query volume is low right now, about 30 **TPS for /select.
But** /update
is 80 and /get around 100 TPS.  In our SolrCloud setup  we don't have a
separate replication node that handles select traffic. The server currently
has 12-40ms TP99 as we don't have any facets or complex queries.  *

> > But what is the usual practice in such scenario?  Index size eventually
> > outgrows RAM and is pushed on to disk.  Is it advisable to shard(solr
> forum
> > says no)? Or is there a different mechanism?
> >
> > System config:
> > We have 3 node cluster with RAID1 SSD.  Two nodes are running solr and
> the
> > other is to maintain Quorum.
>
> Whether or not to shard depends on several factors, not the least of
> which is whether or not the features that you are using will work on a
> distributed index.  My index is slightly larger than yours, and it's
> sharded.  I don't run SolrCloud, the sharding is completely manual.
>
> *E >> Interesting. Whats your select and update TPS/TP99?  We index around
6-8Gb data every month.  I think we will need more than one server to
handle our index in the long run without degrading performance.*

Thanks,