Our index size is 110GB and growing, crossed RAM capacity of 96GB, and we
are seeing a lot of disk and network IO resulting in huge latencies and
instability(one of the server used to shutdown and stay in recovery mode
when restarted).  Our admin added swap space and that seemed to have
mitigated the issue.

But what is the usual practice in such scenario?  Index size eventually
outgrows RAM and is pushed on to disk.  Is it advisable to shard(solr forum
says no)? Or is there a different mechanism?

System config:
We have 3 node cluster with RAID1 SSD.  Two nodes are running solr and the
other is to maintain Quorum.

-E