Yes, totally agree. We run 500m+ docs in a (non-cloud) Solr4, and it even
performs reasonably well on commodity hardware with lots of faceting and
concurrent indexing! Ok, you need a lot of RAM to keep faceting happy, but
it works.

++1 for the automagic shard creator. We've been looking into doing this
sort of thing internally - i.e. when a shard reaches a certain size/num
docs, it creates 'sub-shards' to which new commits are sent and queries to
the 'parent' shard are included. The concept works, as long as you don't
try any non-dist stuff - it's one reason why all our fields are always
single valued. There are also other implications like cleanup, deletes and
security to take into account, to name a few.
A cool side-effect of sub-sharding (for lack of a snappy term) is that the
parent shard then stops suffering from auto-warming latency due to commits
(we do a fair amount of committing). In theory, you could carry on
sub-sharding until your hardware starts gasping for air.