Hi Wunder,

Yes we do expect incoming documents to contain Chinese/Japanese/Arabic
languages.

From what you have mentioned, it looks like we need to auto detect the incoming
content language and tokenize/filter after that.
But I thought the ICU tokenizer had capability to do that
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Tokenizers#Tokenizers-ICUTokenizer)
"This tokenizer processes multilingual text and tokenizes it appropriately
based on its script attribute."
or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Rishi.

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
To: solr-user <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Mon, Feb 23, 2015 11:17 pm
Subject: Re: Basic Multilingual search capability

It isn’t just complicated, it can be impossible.

Do you have content in Chinese or Japanese? Those languages (and some others)
do
not separate words with spaces. You cannot even do word search without a
language-specific, dictionary-based parser.

German is space separated, except many noun compounds are not space-separated.

Do you have Finnish content? Entire prepositional phrases turn into word
endings.

Do you have Arabic content? That is even harder.

If all your content is in space-separated languages that are not heavily
inflected, you can kind of do OK with a language-insensitive approach. But it
hits the wall pretty fast.

One thing that does work pretty well is trademarked names (LaserJet, Coke,
etc).
Those are spelled the same in all languages and usually not inflected.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org

On Feb 23, 2015, at 8:00 PM, Rishi Easwaran <rishi.easwa...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> There is no specific language list.
> For example: the documents that needs to be indexed are emails or any
> messages
for a global customer base. The messages back and forth could be in any
language
or mix of languages.

> I understand relevancy, stemming etc becomes extremely complicated with
multilingual support, but our first goal is to be able to tokenize and provide
basic search capability for any language. Ex: When the document contains hello
or здравствуйте, the analyzer creates tokens and provides exact match search
results.

> Now it would be great if it had capability to tokenize email addresses
(ex:he...@aol.com- i think standardTokenizer already does this),  filenames
(здравствуйте.pdf), but maybe we can use filters to accomplish that.