Hi Rishi,

I don't generally recommend a language-insensitive approach except for
really simple multilingual use cases (for most of the reasons Walter
mentioned), but the ICUTokenizer is probably the best bet you're going to
have if you really want to go that route and only need exact-match on the
tokens that are parsed. It won't work that well for all languages (CJK
languages, for example), but it will work fine for many.

It is also possible to handle multi-lingual content in a more intelligent
(i.e. per-language configuration) way in your search index, of course.
There are three primary strategies (i.e. ways that actually work in the
real world) to do this:
1) create a separate field for each language and search across all of them
at query time
2) create a separate core per language-combination and search across all of
them at query time
3) invoke multiple language-specific analyzers within a single field's
analyzer and index/query using one or more of those language's analyzers
for each document/query.

These are listed in ascending order of complexity, and each can be valid
based upon your use case. For at least the first and third cases, you can
use index-time language detection to map to the appropriate
fields/analyzers if you are otherwise unaware of the languages of the
content from your application layer. The third option requires custom code
(included in the large Multilingual Search chapter of Solr in Action
<http://solrinaction.com> and soon to be contributed back to Solr via
SOLR-6492 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6492>), but it
enables you to index an arbitrarily large number of languages into the same
field if needed, while preserving language-specific analysis for each
language.

I presented in detail on the above strategies at Lucene/Solr Revolution
last November, so you may consider checking out the presentation and/or
slides to asses if one of these strategies will work for your use case:
http://www.treygrainger.com/posts/presentations/semantic-multilingual-strategies-in-lucenesolr/

For the record, I'd highly recommend going with the first strategy (a
separate field per language) if you can, as it is certainly the simplest of
the approaches (albeit the one that scales the least well after you add
more than a few languages to your queries). If you want to stay simple and
stick with the ICUTokenizer then it will work to a point, but some of the
problems Walter mentioned may eventually bite you if you are supporting
certain groups of languages.

All the best,

Trey Grainger
Co-author, Solr in Action