On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We're migrating to SOLR 5 (from 4.8), and our infrastructure guys
> would prefer we installed SOLR from an RPM rather than extracting the
> tarball where we need it. They are creating the RPM file themselves,
> and it installs an init.d script and the equivalent of the tarball to
> /opt/solr.
>
> We're having problems running SOLR from the installed files, as SOLR
> wants to (I think) extract the WAR file and create various temporary
> files below /opt/solr/server.

>From the SOLR 5 reference guide, section "Managing SOLR", sub-section
"Taking SOLR to production", it seems changing the ownership of the
installed files to the user that will run SOLR is an explicit
requirement if you do not wish to run as root.

It would be better if this was not required. With most applications
you do not normally require permission to modify the installed files
in order to run the application, eg I do not need write permission to
/usr/share/vim to run vim, it is a shame I need write permission to
/opt/solr to run solr.

Cheers

Tom