On 3/25/2015 5:49 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> We're migrating to SOLR 5 (from 4.8), and our infrastructure guys
>> would prefer we installed SOLR from an RPM rather than extracting the
>> tarball where we need it. They are creating the RPM file themselves,
>> and it installs an init.d script and the equivalent of the tarball to
>> /opt/solr.
>>
>> We're having problems running SOLR from the installed files, as SOLR
>> wants to (I think) extract the WAR file and create various temporary
>> files below /opt/solr/server.
>
> From the SOLR 5 reference guide, section "Managing SOLR", sub-section
> "Taking SOLR to production", it seems changing the ownership of the
> installed files to the user that will run SOLR is an explicit
> requirement if you do not wish to run as root.
>
> It would be better if this was not required. With most applications
> you do not normally require permission to modify the installed files
> in order to run the application, eg I do not need write permission to
> /usr/share/vim to run vim, it is a shame I need write permission to
> /opt/solr to run solr.

I think you will only need to change the ownership of the solr home and
the location where the .war file is extracted, which by default is
server/solr-webapp.  The user must be able to *read* the program data,
but should not need to write to it. If you are using the start script
included with Solr 5 and one of the examples, I believe the logging
destination will also be located under the solr home, but you should
make sure that's the case.

Thanks,
Shawn