From: Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
To: solr-user <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Mon, Apr 20, 2015 11:25 am
Subject: Re: Solr Cloud reclaiming disk space from deleted documents

On 4/20/2015 8:44 AM, Rishi Easwaran wrote:
> Yeah I noticed that. Looks like
optimize won't work since on some disks we are already pretty full.
> Any
thoughts on increasing/decreasing <mergeFactor>10</mergeFactor>  or
ConcurrentMergeScheduler to make solr do merges faster.

You don't have to do
an optimize to need 2x disk space.  Even normal
merging, if it happens just
right, can require the same disk space as a
full optimize.  Normal Solr
operation requires that you have enough
space for your index to reach at least
double size on occasion.

Higher merge factors are better for indexing speed,
because merging
happens less frequently.  Lower merge factors are better for
query
speed, at least after the merging finishes, because merging happens
more
frequently and there are fewer total segments at any given moment.

During a merge, there is so much I/O that query speed is often
negatively
affected.

Thanks,
Shawn