Steven,

What does being your hero entails, beside a salute? :-)

Approach 1: Tinker with your-app - Solr relationship.
Approach 2: Gauge what's really used and limit the customization.
Approach 3: Offer what's wanted (might be different than what you're trying
to achieve).

In your write-up I'm unsure on what is being demanded of Solr, but I assume
you're after searchability no matter the view / ... / field combination.
Every single field can be searchable and I assume you're looking for a way
to provide just that - search on every field is to be possible if user
wants it.

Ad 3: with "customize-all" apps folks usually quickly find patterns where
they have what they want and they don't use other patterns unless they
really need to. Offer relevant search for their favourite patterns and much
weaker search for other patterns.

Your current approach may be over-engineering. You may be trying to answer
a problem product folks posed you, while real need lies elsewhere. So, I'm
kinda asking you question the problem, to find out your work won't be in
vain, or not as good for end-user as they might have a different problem
(like: which field is which in my so-and-so customized view nr 57 which
changed again this month).

Ad 2: find out which fields are most important for searches and offer these
to Solr. The real usage is usually much less than capability offered - so
if you have a view with 200 fields, I doubt folks even want to query all
200, but perhaps only 5 matter. Find a way to know those 5 (via user prefs
per view perhaps or default view config) and search only them. Ties nicely
with #3 as folks most likely don't even WANT to query all fields. Humans
like limits: we don't want too much elements on screen, we like simple UIs,
we don't want to input too long search query and we often don't want too
many choices.

Ad 1. EXPERIMENT. First, create a way for you to manage your configs
automatically and have them in version control, you'll need fast generation
and even faster revert / regeneration when something is NOT OK. Set up more
than one way to achieve your search-them-all-as-user-pleases approach and
test and compare them.

Your case is quite unique (3,5k qf fields anyone? changing collections
monthly) and I don't think without experimenting you will get good results,
you need to compare number of options.

Can you offer Solr servers per user group? Do you have similarities in
views for user groups - even if informal? Like, 30% of your user base uses
only 20% of all views that you have? Then it makes sense to have dedicated
Solr for those 20% of all views. You'll need routing here and rules per
user groups in your app.

How many customizations you have and how can you use that? Are there any
patterns in customizing views that you can predict / observe / use?

Kinda synthesis of all approaches, but with your customization level I
don't think one Solr for all cases will be of any use, even if you do
manage to have it by some tinkering with settings.

As I kinda looked at the problem not in terms of Solr settings, this is
somewhat off-topic, so if you wish to ask something it might be better off
the group, unless others want the thread to continue here out of curiosity
how it ends.

pozdrawiam,
LAFK