On 6/16/2015 9:24 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> Sounds like a question better asked in one of the Cloudera support
> forums, 'cause all I can do is guess ;).
>
> I suppose, theoretically, that you could check out the Solr5
> code and substitute the httpclient-4.2.5.jar in the build system,
> recompile and go, but that's totally a guess based on zero knowledge
> of whether compiling Solr with an earlier httpclient would even work.
> Frankly, though, that sounds like more work than distributing the older
> jar to the data nodes.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 7:23 AM, adfel70 <adfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We recently started testing solr 5, our indexer creates mapreduce job that
>> uses solrj5 to index documents to our SolrCloud. Until now, we used solr
>> 4.10.3 with solrj 4.8.0. Our hadoop dist is cloudera 5.
>>
>> The problem is, solrj5 is using httpclient-4.3.1 while hadoop is installed
>> with httpclient-4.2.5

In addition to what Erick said:  When I upgraded the build system in
Solr to from HttpClient 4.2 to 4.3, no code changes were required.  It
worked immediately, and all tests passed.  It is likely that you can
simply use HttpClient 4.3.1 everywhere and hadoop will work properly.
This is one of Apache's design goals for software libraries.  It's not
always possible to achieve it, but it is something we always try to do.

Thanks,
Shawn