Thank you Tomás for pointing to the JavaDoc
http://www.solr-start.com/javadoc/solr-lucene/org/apache/solr/common/cloud/Replica.State.html#ACTIVE

The Javadoc is quite clear. So this stale state.json is not an issue after
all.

However, it's very confusing that when a node goes down, state.json may be
updated for 1 collection while it remains stale in the other collection.
Also in our case, the node did not crash as per the JavaDoc... it was a
normal server stop/shut-down.
We may need to review our shut-down process and see whether things change.

Thank you very much Erick and Tomás for your valuable help... very
appreciated.

Arcadius.