On 10/7/2015 4:03 AM, Eric Torti wrote:
> I'm sorry to diverge this thread a little bit. But could please point me to
> resources that explain deeply how this process of OS using the non-java
> memory to cache index data?
>
>> Whatever RAM is left over after you give 12GB to Java for Solr will be
>> used automatically by the operating system to cache index data on the
>> disk.  Solr is completely reliant on that caching for good performance.
>
> I'm puzzled as to why the physical memory of solr's host machine is always
> used up and I think some resources on that would help me understand it.

Toke's reply is excellent, and describes the situation from Lucene's
perspective.  Solr is a Lucene program, so the same information applies.

Here's more generic information on how the OS uses memory for caching
for most programs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_cache

Note that some programs, like MySQL and Microsoft Exchange, skip the OS
cache and take care of caching internally.

Thanks,
Shawn