Unix has a “buffer cache”, often called a file cache. This chapter discusses
the Linux buffer cache, which is very similar to other Unix implementations.
Essentially, all unused RAM is used to make disk access faster.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/buffer-cache.html
<http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/buffer-cache.html>

wunder
Walter Underwood