Erick,

Actually, configured autocommit to 15 seconds and openSearcher is set to false. Neither 2 nor 3 happened. However, softCommit is set to 10 min.

<autoCommit>
       <maxTime>${solr.autoCommit.maxTime:15000}</maxTime>
       <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
     </autoCommit>

Working on upgrading to 5.3 which will take a bit of time and trying to get this under control until that time.