Here is the current info

How much memory is used?
Physical memory consumption: 5.48 GB out of 14 GB.
Swap space consumption: 5.83 GB out of 15.94 GB.
JVM-Memory consumption: 1.58 GB out of 3.83 GB.

What is your index size?
I have around 70M documents distributed on 2 shards (so each shard has 35M
document)

What type of queries are slow?
I am running normal queries (queries on a field) no faceting or highlights
are requested. Currently, I am facing delay of 2-3 seconds but previously I
had delays of around 28 seconds.

Are there GC pauses as they can be a cause of slowness?
I doubt this as the slowness was happening for a long period of time.

Are document updates/additions happening in parallel?
No, I have stopped adding/updating documents and doing queries only.

This is what you are already doing. Did you mean that you want to add more
shards?
No, what I meant is that I read that previously there was a way to chunk a
large index into multiple and then do distributed search on that as in this
article https://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch. What I was looking
for how this is handled in Solr Cloud?

Regards,
Salman