Primarily our outages are caused by Java crashes or really long GC pauses, in
short not all of our developers have a good sense of what types of queries are
unsafe if abused (for example, cursorMark or start=).

Honestly, stability of the JVM is another task I have coming up.  I agree that
recovery should be uncommon, we're just not where we need to be yet.

Cheers,
Brian