Actually I disagree Alex. We build JS apps that talk straight to Solr all
the time.

However, we are sure to lock it down pretty heavily. Moreover, these cases
almost never have sensitive information. You need to think through the
worst case. As search is often a secondary artifact of a primary database,
you can often rebuild the data in the worst case. So to me it's not like
giving users access to your database. The risk is (usually) pretty low.

We have a sample solr nginx proxy that disallows problematic parameters and
white lists the search endpoint
https://github.com/o19s/solr_nginx

We also have a framework Spyglass if you are interested in Ember
https://github.com/o19s/spyglass

-Doug

--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.