Sorry to hear that didn't work! Let me ask a couple of questions...

Have you tried the analyzer inside of the Admin Interface? It has helped me
sort out a number of highlighting issues in the past. To access it, go to your
Admin interface, select your core, then select Analysis from the list of
options on the left. In the analyzer, enter the term you are indexing in the
top left (in other words the term in the document you are indexing that you
expect to get a hit on) and right input fields. Select the field that it is
destined for (in your case that would be 'content'), then hit analyze. Helps if
you have a big screen!

This will show you the impact of the various filter factories that you have
engaged and their effect on whether or not a 'hit' is being generated. Hits are
idietified by a very feint highlight. (PSST... Developers... It would be really
cool if the highlight color were more visible or customizable... Thanks y'all)
If it looks like you're getting hits, but not getting highlighting, then open
up a new tab with the Admin's query interface. Same place on the left as the
analyzer. Replace the "*:*" with your search term (assuming you already indexed
your document) and if necessary you can put something in the FQ like
"id:123456" to target a specific record.

Did you get a hit? If no, then it's not highlighting that's the issue. If yes,
then try dumping this in your address bar (using your URL/IP, search term, and
core name of course. The fq= is an example) :
http://[URL/IP]/solr/[CORE-NAME]/select?fq=id:123456&q="[SEARCH-TERM]";

That will dump Solr's output to your browser where you can see exactly what is
getting hit.

Hope that helps! Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

-Teague