Hi,

I've been using solr for a little without worrying too much about how it
works but now it's becoming a bottleneck in my application. I have a couple
issues with it:

1. My index always gets slower and slower when commiting/optimizing for some
obscure reason. It goes from 1 second with a new index to 45 seconds with an
index with the same amount of data but used for a few days. Restarting solr
doesn't fix it. The only way I found to fix that is to delete the whole
index completely by deleting the index folder. Then when I rebuild the index
everything goes back to normal and fast... and then performance slowly
deteriorates again. So, the amount of data is not a factor because
rebuilding the index from scratch fixes the problem and I am sending
"optimize" once in a while... even maybe too often.

2. I use acts_as_solr and by default they only make "post" requests, even
for /select. With that setup the response time for most queries, simple or
complex ones, were ranging from 150ms to 600ms, with an average of 250ms. I
changed the select request to use "get" requests instead and now the
response time is down to 10ms to 60ms. Did someone seen that before? Why is
it doing it?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastien