Hello Ted.

We have a similar requirement to deploy Solr across 2 DCs.
In our case, the DCs are connected via fibre optic.

We managed to deploy a single SolrCloud cluster across multiple DCs without
any major issue (see links below).

The whole set-up is described in the following articles:

-
http://menelic.com/2015/11/21/deploying-solrcloud-across-multiple-data-centers-dc/

-
http://menelic.com/2015/12/04/deploying-solrcloud-across-multiple-data-centers-dc-performance/

-
http://menelic.com/2015/12/05/allowing-solrj-cloudsolrclient-to-have-preferred-replica-for-query-operations/

- Here is the main issue we had to deal with:
http://menelic.com/2015/12/30/zookeeper-shutdown-leader-reason-not-sufficient-followers-synced-only-synced-with-sids/

I believe that if your DCs are well connected, you can have a single
SolrCloud cluster spanning across multiple DCs.

Arcadius.

--
Arcadius Ahouansou
Menelic Ltd | Information is Power