If you are not particular about what part of the field is returned you can
create copy fields and set a limit on those to store only the number of
characters you want.

<copyField source="src" dest="dest" maxChars="500">

This will copy over the first 500 chars of the contents of your SRC field
to your dest field.
Anything beyond this will be truncated.

--
Regards,