Thanks Eric and Walter, this is extremely insightful. One last followup
question on composite routing. I'm trying to have a better understanding of
index distribution. If I use language as a prefix, SolrCloud guarantees that
same language content will be routed to the same shard. What I'm curious to
know is how rest of the data is being distributed across remaining shards.
For e.g. I've the following composite keys,

enu!doc1
enu!doc2
deu!doc3
deu!doc4
esp!doc5
chs!doc6

If I've 2 shards in the cluster, will SolrCloud try to distribute the above
data evenly? Is is possible that enu will be routed to shard1 while deu goes
to shard2, and esp and chs gets indexed in either of them. Or, all of them
can potentially end up getting indexed in the same shard, either 1 or 2,
leaving one shard under-utilized.