Yes, SOLR-8096 is the issue here.

I don't believe indexing with docValues is going to help too much with
this. The enum slowness may not be related, but I'm not positive about
that.

The major slowdowns are likely due to the removal of the top level
FieldCache from general use and the removal of the FieldValuesCache which
was used for multi-value field faceting.

The JSON facet API covers all the functionality in the traditional
faceting, and it has been developed to be very performant.

You may also want to see if Collapse/Expand can meet your applications
needs rather Grouping. It allows you to specify using a top level
FieldCache if performance is a blocker without it.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/