bq: map index files so "reading from disk" will be as simple and quick
as reading from memory hence would not incur any significant
performance degradation.

Well, if
1> the read has already been done. First time a page of the file is
accessed, it must be read from disk.
2> You have enough physical memory that _all_ of the files can be held
in memory at once.

<2> is a little tricky since the big slowdown comes from swapping
eventually. But in an LRU scheme, that may be OK if the oldest pages
are the stored=true data which are only accessed to return the top N,
not to satisfy the search.

What are your QTimes anyway? Define "optimal"....

I'd really push back on this statement: "We have a requirement to have
updates available immediately (NRT)". Truly? You can't set
expectations that 5 seconds will be needed (or 10?). Often this is an
artificial requirement that does no real service to the user, it's
just something people think they want. If this means you're sending a
commit after every document, it's actually a really bad practice
that'll get you into trouble eventually. Plus you won't be able to do
any autowarming which will read data from disk into the OS memory and
smooth out any spikes.

FWIW,
Erick