My understanding is if you use solrj, it can connect to zookeeper and then
zookeeper will tell soljr client which solrcloud node (or possibly nodes) to
make requests to.  So it achieves load balancing but it isn't a load balancer
in the same sense that something like HAProxy is.

To make search requests and add/update documents, you don't have to talk via
zookeeper though.  You can use an ordinary http traffic load balancer to spread
out requests across your solrcloud nodes.

SolrCloud uses zookeeper for various things including ensuring all cluster
members have the same configuration and to keep state which needs to maintained
about the cluster.  My understanding is zookeeper is really 'for' the solrcloud
nodes so that they can work together without having to be aware of each other.

If your .net client is just searching and adding/updating documents there isn't
really a need for the .net client to talk to zookeeper, provided you can load
balance your requests so that you don't have 1 node handling all the traffic
from your .net client.  If a request arrives on one node but the data is on
another the solrcloud nodes handle this transparently in the background for you.

Hope this helps,

Jon