no, I'm using dynamic fields, they've been around for a pretty long time.
I use int-values in the 10k fields for filtering and sorting. On top of that
I use a lot of full-text filtering on the other fields, as well as faceting,
etc.

I do understand that, at first glance, it seems possible to use multivalued
fields, but with multivalued fields it's not possible to pinpoint the exact
value within the multivalued field that I need. Consider the case with 1
multi-valued field, category, as you called it, which would have at most 10k
fields. The meaning of these values within the field are completely lost,
although it is a requirement to fetch products (thus values in the
multivalued field)  given a specific set of criteria. In other words, there
is no way of getting a specific value from a multivalued field given a set
of criteria.  Now, compare that with my current design in which these
criteria pinpoint a specific field / column to use and the difference should
be clear.

regards,
Britske