Although I don't like docker, I do make heavy use of saltstack with jails plus
ZFS snapshots to shipping virtual machines around. Docker is mostly just a
reinvention of BSD/Solaris jails/zones.

You might prefer docker's own custom dockerfile language and I prefer python
with salt. But ultimately it is a lot of workaround for the stupid decisions
Solr made by scattering configuration everywhere and forcing us to customise
the application itself. But thanks for the confirmation that "this is just the
way it is"... I'm really not missing some easy way to do all this.

Ari

On 10/10/16 6:59am, Georg Sorst wrote:
> If you can, switch to Docker (https://hub.docker.com/_/solr/). It's a pain
> to get everything going the right way, but once it's running you get a lot
> of stuff for free:
>
> * Deployment, scaling etc. is all taken care of by the Docker ecosystem
> * Testing is a breeze. Need a clean Solr instance to run your application
> against? It's just one command line away
> * You can version the Dockerfile (Docker build instructions), so you can
> version your whole setup. For example we add our own web app to the Docker
> image (we shouldn't be doing that, I know) and put the resulting images
> into our private Docker repository
>
> Aristedes Maniatis <a...@maniatis.org> schrieb am So., 9. Okt. 2016 um
> 02:14 Uhr:
>
>> On 9/10/16 11:11am, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>>> * deployment is also scattered:
>>>  - Solr platform specific package manager (pkg in FreeBSD in my case,
>> which I've had to write myself since it didn't exist)
>>>  - updating config files above
>>>  - writing custom scripts to push Zookeeper configuration into production
>>>  - creating collections/cores using the API rather than in a config file
>>
>> Oh, and pushing additional jars (like a JDBC adapter) into a special
>> folder. Again, not easily testable or version controlled.
>>

>> Ari
>>

>> --
>> Aristedes Maniatis

Aristedes Maniatis