Renee - you have probably already thought of this, but just in case it
helps...  (It helped me a lot several years ago and I hadn't thought of it
at the time...)

If you end up needing to do a big re-index, Production doesn't have to be
affected (assuming you have the hardware/cloud resources). You can reindex
into a non-production environment, test, and when all is well, just point
load balancers at the new Solr environment.  In this scenario your users
would probably not even notice the change unless you tell them...

Of course this does NOT in any way lessen the other stressors you've been
discussing - and - as I said, you probably already thought of it...