Answering to myself.. I did some digging and found out that boosts work if qf is repeated in the local params, at least in Solr 6.2, like this:

{!mlt qf=title^100 qf=author=^50}recordid

However, it doesn't work properly with CloudMLTQParser used in SolrCloud mode. I'm working on a proposed fix for this and will post a Jira issue with a patch when done. There appears to be another problem with CloudMLTQParser too where it includes extraneous terms in the final query, and I'll take a stab at fixing that too.

--Ere