I have a question that I suspect I'll need to answer very soon in my
current position.

How (or is it even wise) to "segregate data" in Solr so that some data can
be seen by some users and some data not be seen?

Taking the case of "public / private" as a (hopefully) simple, binary
example...

Let's imagine I have a data set that can be seen by a user.  Some of that
data can be seen ONLY by the user (this would be the private data) and some
of it can be seen by others (assume the user gave permission for this in
some way)

What is a best practice for handling this type of situation?  I can see
putting metadata in Solr of course, but the instant I do that, I create the
obligation to keep it updated (Document-level CRUD?) and I start using Solr
more like a DB than a search engine.

(Assume the user can change this public/private setting on any one piece of
"their" data at any time).

Of course, I can also see some kind of post-results massaging of data to
remove private data based on ID's which are stored in a database or similar
datastore...

How have others solved this and is there a consensus on whether to keep it
out of Solr, or how best to handle it in Solr?

Are there clever implementations of "secondary" collections in Solr for
this purpose?

Any advice / hard-won experience is greatly appreciated...