bq: Which might be the same as saying nothing matched

Right, a score of zero for a doc means it didn't match the query.

It can be useful to specify &debug.explainOther can show the scoring
for an arbitrary doc, even one with a zero score.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Common+Query+Parameters

Best,
Erick