Hello

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I'm having some confusion here.

I understand that managed-schema is not supposed to be edited by hand but
only via the "API".  All I understand about this "API" however, is that it
may be referring to the "Schema" page in the Solr browser-based Admin.

However, in this "Schema" page, it provides options for "Add Field", "Add
Dynamic Field", "Add Copy Field"; but when I was trying to add a
"fieldType", I couldn't find any way to do this from this web page.

So I instead edited the managed-schema page by hand, which I understand can
be problematic if the schema is ever edited it via the API later on?

I am using v. 6.4.1; when I create a new core, it creates the
managed-schema file in the 'conf' folder.  Is there any way to use the
older 'schema.xml' format instead?  Because there seems to be more
documentation available for that, and like I describe, the browser API
seems to perhaps be lacking.

If so - what do users usually prefer; schema.xml or managed-schema?  (I'm
aware this depends on individual preference, but would be nice to get
others' feedback.)

Thanks