Dorian Hoxha wrote
> Isn't 18K lucene-indexes (1 for each shard, not counting the replicas) a
> little too much for 3TB of data ?
> Something like 0.167GB for each shard ?
> Isn't that too much overhead (i've mostly worked with es but still lucene
> underneath) ?

I don't have only 3TB , I have 3TB in two tier2 machines, the whole cluster
is 12 TB :) So what I was trying to explain was this:

NODES A & B
3TB per machine , 36 collections * 12 shards (432 indexes) , average heap
footprint of 60GB

NODES C & D - at first
~725GB per machine, 4 collections * 12 shards (48 indexes) , average heap
footprint of 12GB

NODES C & D - after addding 220GB schemaless data
~1TB per machine, 46 collections * 12 shards (552 indexes),  average heap
footprint of 48GB

So, what you are suggesting is that the culprit for the bump in heap
footprint is the new collections?

Dorian Hoxha wrote
> Also you should change the heap 32GB->30GB so you're guaranteed to get
> pointer compression. I think you should have no need to increase it more
> than this, since most things have moved to out-of-heap stuff, like
> docValues etc.

I was forced to raise the heap size because the memory requirements
dramatically raised, hence this post :)

Thanks