All,

As I mentioned above, thought  I will update on steps we followed to move my
data from 4.10 to 6.5.1

Our setup has 6 collections containing only one shard in each and couple of
replicas in each collections

* Install Solr 5.5.4
* Create configs for each collection. Copied basic_configs ( thats comes by
default )
* In Manage schema add our custom field types needed for that corresponding
collection
* Start Solr in cloud mode
* Upconfig the configs for all collections
* Creating Collection with numShards as 1 using HTTP command as mentioned in
over  here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API>
* Stop the solr
* In the created shards's data directory, delete the index folder and copy
the 4.10 index folder and make sure write.lock is deleted if exists.
* Now start the solr again. In the solr admin UI, we can see the num docs
will be as per your data copied from 4.10 version.
* Optimize the index
* Do this for all collection.

Now Install 6.5.1 and repeat same above steps.

* Install Solr 6.5.1
* Create configs for each collection. Copied basic_configs ( thats comes by
default )
* In Manage schema add our custom field types needed for that corresponding
collection
* Start Solr in cloud mode
* Upconfig the configs for all collections
* Creating Collection with numShards as 1 using HTTP command as mentioned in
over  here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API>
* Stop the solr
* In the created shards's data directory, delete the index folder and copy
the 5.5.4 index folder and make sure write.lock is deleted if exists.
* Now start the solr again. In the solr admin UI, we can see the num docs
will be as per your data copied from 5.5.4  version.
* Do this for all collection.

Now we can create REPLICA as per our need for each collection your
ADDREPLICA command.

This worked fine for us without any issues.

Hope this helps for others who wants to move from older version of SOLR 4.x
to 6.X.

Thanks and regards,